THIS is 78-year-old Bill Iffrig lying on the floor close to the finish of the Boston Marathon, stunned and dazed after being caught in the horrific explosion which killed three people.
Watch the video, and he is the grey-haired man in the orange vest who felt the full force of the blast's shockwave and was seen crumpled to the ground on the Tarmac.
Initialy when I saw the TV footage, I thought he had died. Instead, Bill, who comes from Lake Stevens in Washington State, suffered nothing more than a scrape to his knee, picked himself up and courageously finished his third Boston Marathon in little over four hours. www.heraldnet.com/article/20130415/NEWS01/704159868#Lake-Steven-runner-just-feet-from-blast-in-Boston
As my running friend, Gary O'Brien, neatly wrote on his Facebook page: "He got up and finished. Yet another one the terrorists failed to beat." Spot on Gary!
As I went for an early morning run over the South Downs this morning, I revelled in the spectacular view of the grassy slopes on a windy, drizzly morning overlooking the English Channel - sharing the freedom which the spineless and cowardly terrorists would deny us.
Thoughts turned to Boston and what those amazing runners went through - many of whom unselfishly ventured to hospitals in their running kit afterwards to give blood. We are a special breed - not unique - but in our own way we share a spirit and determination, as well as a steely resolve, which is not necessarily shared by others.
Runners enjoy a kindred spirit, even in the heat of battle. For marathon runners, in particular, everyone recognises what those around them have endured over the past four or five months of preparation and training; the hard miles run, the sacrifices made, putting their body and mind on the line to complete 26 miles.
And for thousands of runners, whether it was Boston yesterday or in London this coming weekend, they will also have used whatever reserves they have left, in the midst of their punishing training schedules, to fund-raise countless millions of pounds for good causes.
I love runners and I love running because of that special cameraderie. Over the Downs this morning I passed a couple of runners setting out as the sun was rising. In silent, respectful acknowledgement with a raised hand and a nod of the head, we set off on our own little journeys. You don't necessarily get that in other sports.
I have run three marathons and written before how if you don't believe in God, running those 26 miles is the nearest thing to a spritiual experience you will enjoy. It is that sheer goodness of mankind which sweeps over you like a warm wave as the crowds cheer you on unashamedly, and fellow runners pull you through this Holy Grail of the sport.
Thank heavens I was wearing dark glasses at my most recent London Marathon when I felt tears as I ran down Birdcage Walk - it was raw emotion and relief at having completed this epic journey. There is no feeling close to the ecstasy which sweeps your body when you cross that finish line.
And now I am thinking about the possibility of running the Amsterdam Marathon this autumn!
![]() |
| Relief at finishing the London Marathon |
So why did terrorists choose the Boston Marathon and set off the bombs, not when the elite runners were passing and when the television cameras would be fully trained on the finish, but on those runners finishing in four hours - almost two hours after the men's winner?
Because that's what really strikes at the core. This was a bombing of the innocent.
There are initial reports that an eight-year-old boy is among the dead. There is a quote from a police source saying: "We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. At least 25 to 30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing." But why?
Why choose a marathon as a backdrop to a terrorist outrage is simply unbelieveable. It is surely the lowest of the lows.
To capture the perceptive Facebook words of another friend which so strike a chord: If you can't run a marathon without a terrorism risk, the world is in a dark place!


Beautifully put Dave.
ReplyDeleteMark Jones
Thanks Mark, hope the running is going well and that the radio shows are drawing good audiences.
ReplyDelete