Friday, March 18, 2011

Not such a nightmayor

The Mayor and I "go large" at McDonald's!

MY mother reckons she’s got a book in her to write. After umpteen years working as the mayor’s secretary in the London boroughs of Hammersmith and Hillingdon, she has seen quite a few mayors come and go.
The book would no doubt be filled with tales of unbelievable arrogance, pomposity and downright tomfoolery. There have been a few mayors who've actually been quite likeable.
I am sure it would be an absorbing read of how this cast of ordinary men and women became transformed into ghastly creatures once they put on the fine robes and expensive chains of office, allured by the power and status as the borough’s first citizen.
In Swindon, I’ve got to know the mayors quite well. In fact, for the past three years I have been asked to speak at the annual Civic banquet which has been quite an honour.
The town’s current mayor is Rex Barnett; a wonderful charismatic and charming man, who has awesome powers of persuasion which would befit the diplomatic service.
Sometimes, however, he has to be kept in check by his delightful wife, Sandra – the couple celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary last October.
Ever since coming into office last May, Rex has been a man on a mission. Even in the face of the severest economic climate in a generation, Swindon’s Mayor has so far raised more than £30,000 for three charities, and is looking to double that figure by the time his tenure comes to an end.
I’ve been fortunate to be involved with a couple of fund-raisers, compering a talent show at the town’s Wyvern Theatre earlier this year, and taking on a similar role last week for a Spring Soiree, which featured explorer David Hempleman-Adams as guest speaker.
The dinner was a fantastic event, superbly organised by an energetic lady called Sara Tye, who is one of the few people capable of reining in Rex’s unbridled enthusiasm.
Elected officials are not often held with warmth and affection, but sensing the reaction from people at the Spring Soiree last week, and generally walking around town, Rex has distinguished himself as one of the most popular mayors ever in Swindon.
I had severe doubts about the amount of fund-raising he was embarking on at a time of recession. It’s not the job of Mayor to fund-raise, but to be an ambassador for the town, connecting with communities.
However, Rex has carried out this role in tandem with the fund-raising in a dignified and decorous way. In a sense, the fund-raising has provided a connection and a bonding between the Mayor and the town. It has been done with a smile and a sense of fun.
In fact, this man who once sold women’s underwear for a living (yes, he did!) has brought an elevated sense of respect for the office of Mayor and, at the same time, has enriched the lives of the town.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Rex, but my mother is a friend of his wife Sandra.

    I liked David Wren when he was Mayor and I almost de-robed Steve Wakefield when he was Mayor.

    Steve was at a function in Penhill - the NSPCC open day it was.
    They had a sensory room in the NSPCC Centre and I really wanted to see it as I wanted to see what it was equipped with.
    A gentleman ushered me into a room and I was followed by Mr W who also was interested in seeing the sensory area. The man then pulled across a black curtain to devide the room in two, and switched on his fibre optic stands, bubble tube and UV light. When I had finished looking, I grabbed what I thought was the curtain with my left hand to pull it across and gave it a good tug. I then realised when the penny dropped so to speak that it was not in fact the curtain I was was tugging at to pull across, but the Mayors (Mr W's) robe. The penny dropped when I felt the fur !

    The poor man from the NSPCC didn't know where to look ! Nobby the driver had a job to keep a straight face, and I was crying in fits of laughter. I did say sorry ;-) and Mr W did find it amusing !
    I promised not to try and de-robe him again!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.