Wednesday, March 16, 2011

IT or not IT, now that is the question!

REMEMBER a time when we wrote letters? Hand-crafted, carefully thought-out pieces of poetic prose; whether a note to a friend or relative, or a considered business letter.
Of course technology has changed all that. We live in the age of an internet, where communication is machine gun-like in its frequency and rapid-fire with its content.
What might have taken a couple of weeks to decide through an exchange of letters can be wrapped up within a few hours of ping-pong e-mails.
How our life, at home and at work, depends so much on this technology.
I've been blog-less for well over a week because I've been without the internet at home.
I'm now living in Wiltshire's equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle for new technology. It has been so seriously frustrating not being able to connect my laptop to a neighbouring wi-fi source. I even had an IT tekkie come out to sort the problem using various boosters to latch onto a decent signal, but without success.
I've tried two separate mobile phone suppliers to connect using dongles, which has been fractious and fickle.
Anyway, one way or another, I'm back on-line, and I've not even waxed lyrical about my afternoon with the jam and Jerusalem brigade at the Women's Institute, and an evening with the explorer David Hempleman-Adams!

1 comment:

  1. You never know - you might be lucky and get your 2 hours free ............!
    The way its going though I think you have more chance of the Mayan Callendrical system finishing on the 21/12/2012 before that happens !!!

    Have you tried a vodafone dongle ?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.