Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Does it really matter which way you bat?

All hail to the Goddess Pamela - it was a choice between a picture of Pammie and Steven Davies playing cricket, and in this image contest there was only one winner!


SO, the England wicketkeeper Steven Davies has come out to declare he is gay.
If you’ve never heard of Steven Davies then I guess this makes the statement even more absurd.
Davies is the 24-year-old talented cricketer who, to quote one national newspaper, “revealed his anguish at telling his team-mates about his sexuality before the recent tour to Australia”.
Or in the words of the Gay campaigning group Stonewall: “Good news all around. First ever professional cricketer to out himself”.
Predictably, there has been the sage nodding of wise and sympathetic heads. “I’m sure it’s a relief for him now he is not hiding,” offered former England cricket captain, Michael Vaughan.
“No one should be afraid to be themselves, admire your honesty,” suggested ex-Yorkshire cricketer and Strictly Come Dancing King, Darren Gough, while current England spinner, Graeme Swann, sledged: “For those opposed, maybe find a new rock to live under?”
Crikey, pass the seaweed, where’s my rock?!
Come on fellas, what is the big deal with someone wanting to out themselves?
What difference is it really going to make to others to know what our friend Mr Davies gets up to in his private life? Surely all it is going to do is to set Davies up as a target for those less tolerant. Has it really lifted a weight off his shoulders?
Homosexuality is legal, it is now part and parcel of modern day life.
Figures released last October by the Office For National Statistics (ONS) suggests that one in 100 people in Britain is either gay or lesbian, which equates to around 480,000, with a further 245,000 saying they are bisexual, according to the ONS. 
A Stonewall spokesman said on TV the other night that homosexuality is “accepted by the majority of society”. So, on that basis, let's move on.
I happen to like blondes with big breasts and I am particularly partial to Pamela Anderson, but I have never released a press statement or given a heart-rendering interview to the media about this fetish – instead, I have just chosen to spectacularly ‘out’ myself in this blog and I have an appointment with my therapist Felix later this evening!
Who really cares what is anyone’s predilection for rumpy pumpy so long as it is legal and doesn’t wake the neighbours at 2am? Why is there this abnormal need by some to want to brazenly wear the badge of homosexuality or any standpoint for that matter? Is it a sign of insecurity?
This blog is not about gay bashing - absolutely, absolutely not. I’m not against gays. This blog is asking why is therethis urge for disclosure about something which should be very private?
I have friends, both men and women, who enjoy happy homosexual relationships. But none have ever been demonstrable about their sexuality. None have ever shouted with glee at a dinner party: “Look at us, look at us, we’re different and we’re special, now accept us - oh, and pass the condiments, please!”
I’ve accepted them as friends because of who they are, what they stand for as people and what we have shared as friends. That matters most. Their sexuality has changed nothing. In fact, it’s not something I ever think or talk about…. “so Gervaise, how are you and Fred getting on with the springs on your new bed?”!
My view is not politically correct or necessarily mainstream. And there will be bigots who will argue how this is another example of homophobia.
Oh not it isn’t. Read again. I have got nothing against gays. However, what I don’t understand is the snared logic where some are so keen for society’s acceptance and integration of the homosexual community, that like a spoiled child they clamour for attention, screaming and shouting their cause, so all they achieve is to stand out and alienate some who find their brazen behaviour unacceptable. Not a smart move.
Integration and social acceptance isn’t achieved by picking up a megaphone to forcefully ram the point home. That’s the first step towards alienating others. Far better to subliminally gain acceptance, if acceptance is what you are seeking. 
I’m not sure what Steven Davies’s motivation was to be so public about his sexuality.
In fact, to my mind there is no need to make any statement at all because it doesn’t matter to me whether Steven Davies bats right-handed, left-handed, or with no hands at all.
Maybe I should organise an annual Pammie Passion Parade with blonde, busty lookalikes in skintight red Baywatch bikinis parading through central Swindon in order that I can officially come out to declare my undying love for the beach blonde goddess!
Hey, now that could catch on!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference being Dave that by loving blondes with big boobs, you were never bullied or humiliated in the school playground because there are role models for your 'fetish' everywhere in society. A gay teenager will have few role models, and those he does have will all be in the arts. Having men like Steven Davies and Gareth Thomas will help to alter that until eventually we get to the situation you desire, in which universal acceptance is unconditional. But that will take a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am gay and I don't shout or go out of my way to tell anyone about it. But if I am with a bunch of straight guys then it can be very lonely to pretend to like girls - and I feel they are missing key detail on my life. Same time I don't want to make a big song and dance, but neither do I want to be fake and I want people to like me for who I am.

    Also if the discourse of a conversation mentions racism etc. but not homophobia then I feel somewhat offended at times.

    The truth is there are homophobic people - and the people who witness it first hand in the most 'real' way possible are those who have a different sexuality to the majority. While a lack of balance exists, there will be people shouting as loud as they can until the situation becomes fairer.

    Being quiet, is often being ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get my red swimsuit then shall I ;-)
    Being blond with big boobs has its downfalls too.
    Picked on in the playground at school!
    Hated by the other girls, used as the butt of jokes by the boys !
    Lots of time spent alone at school !

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.