Saturday, July 06, 2013

Why I'll be cheering Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon final.



SO the Dunblane sourpuss has reached another Wimbledon tennis final. 
Get the Kleenex on standby for another emotional Centre Court showdown - win or lose, will Andy Murray be blubbing when Sue Barker asks those searching post-match posers?
Hopefully, her questions will be much better thought-out than Garry Richardson's crass and cringy Alex Ferguson "hairdryer" enquiry which he asked Murray after his quarter-final win over Spaniard Fernando Verdasco.
www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/10159079/Wimbledon-2013-BBCs-Garry-Richardson-tests-Andy-Murrays-patience-and-apologies-for-hairdryer-question.html
Richardson's "Sportsweek" on Radio 5 Live on a Sunday morning is one of the best sports magazine programmes around, but on this occasion the man from the Beeb made the fatal error of having the germ of an idea and then asking his question as he was thinking about it. The result was a total Horlicks.
Sadly, television and radio is littered with a few poor journalists tasked with eliciting immediate post-match quotes for the delectation and delight of a mass audience. Too often they ask the most brown-nosing and naive of questions. Just get to the point, and ask the question withoutt being laden with opinion.
However, I digress. I don't warm to Andy Murray, a man whose moody ways and brand of clinical tennis do not make him particularly endearing. But then again, the years when I covered Wimbledon I never warmed to Tim Henman, but found Greg Rusedski much more interesting to interview, and preferred watching.
Greg Rusedski, Rod Laver, Rafael Nadal, Brian Lara, Phil Mickelson, John McEnroe, David Gower, Gary Sobers, Diego Maradona, Ryan Giggs, Johan Cruyff, Lionel Messi, John Barnes, why is it always left-handed/left-footed sportsmen who make the classic entertainers?
I read a while back how research had found that left-handed people have an advantage when playing sport because of the connection between the left and right hand sides of the brain, which are faster in southpaws.
One of my friends, Andrew Thompson, posted this on his Facebook page earlier today, and he is so right:
I nearly always want the Brit to win in a sporting contest, today included, but it's ridiculous really. There's plenty of British people I know who I find insufferable. I wouldn't want them to win an egg and spoon race.
Is it a sign of getting older that you become far less patriotic and jingoistic about sport, and begin to appreciate the sporting quality? Why should we be binded to someone just because they were born in the same country, but possess the dullness of flock wallpaper?
I shall be cheering on Novak Djokovic, not out of any sense of disloyalty or being anti-Scottish, but simply because Djokovic plays the far more entertaining brand of tennis and, after the amazing five set classic semi-final against Juan Martin Del Potro, deserves to win.
Also, I'm pretty sure that Djokovic and I share a passing similarity in the looks department along with Syrian President, Bashar Hafez al-Assad.

Separated at birth, Novak, Bashar and
some guy with a cup cake!




Thanks to the ignorant crinkly motorist who sent me flying from my bike this week. "Are you alright, luv?" she asked, as I picked myself off the kerb. "I thought you were turning, so didn't think you were going straight on." Numpty!! This was one of those moments when the blinding stupidity of the woman left you speechless. So many comebacks, so little time.
If ever there was a need to place age limits for elderly drivers - or at least a re-testing over the age of 70 - then here was a classic case in point.

The newspaper was invited to follow police on a cannabis factory raid the other week when the boys in blue netted around £250,000 worth of drugs.
It was an impressive-looking operation. Officers wearing helmets, sporting Kevlar jackets and some who were clearly armed, forced their way through the front door. There's a magic moment as the police charge through. One of the door-bashers steps out of the way to allow his fellow officers to charge into the house, and promptly falls backwards over the low wall.
I caught up with District Chief Inspector Steve Biglands this week who said the tumble was the talk of the station. By the time the unfortunate fall-guy got back to his locker, his sympathetic colleagues had changed his name-tag to "Humpty".
Here's the video, can you spot the fall?: www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/local/police-raid-eastbourne-homes-seizing-cannabis-worth-180-000-1-5231089

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.