THE last of the cars are being loaded onto the Wight Sky
from a slip of a quay at Yarmouth, at the western end of the Isle of Wight.
It is a gorgeous Sunday afternoon, with drinkers sitting on
a sun-terrace right next to the terminal entrance soaking up the last of the
late summer weather.
It’s hard to believe this is the first week of October, with
the sun beating down on a shimmering
Solent littered by a scattering of yachts. The Isle of Wight is a
beautiful place anyway, and when the sun is shining, the island really looks
resplendent in its party clothes.
Despite living on the south coast for almost 25 years, I’ve
not often made the trip across the Solent. At £71 a throw to bring the car
over, it’s not cheap. Whether you’re crossing from Portsmouth, Southampton or
Lymington, the three to five-mile ferry trip is among the most expensive
commercial boat crossing in the world.
Surely it’s about time the Monopolies Commission took a
close look at how Wightlink and Red Funnel can justify such exorbitant charges.
THE reason for the weekend away was to attend the first of a
series of Rotary district conferences.
Over the next month, I’m visiting events in Eastbourne and
Scarborough on behalf of the charity Hearing Link to promote the “Let’s Loop
the UK” campaign.
Despite moving into teaching full-time with Highbury
College, I’m still heavily involved with the national charity which provides
support for the 10 million people in the UK with hearing loss – two million of
whom wear hearing aids.
In the past year, I have been working for Hearing Link to
promote the use of hearing loops, and have set up groups in Surrey, Swindon,
Chester and Newcastle, to sit alongside an existing initiative in Eastbourne.
It is a wonderfully exciting project.
The idea of these groups is to promote awareness of hearing
loops among businesses and to encourage greater use of them by hearing aid
wearers. It is a huge task and one which involves changing cultures among
businesses and people, including hearing aid wearers who have become so
disenchanted with non-working hearing loops.
But, this is a challenge which has to be bitten off one
piece at a time, working in partnership with a number of national
organisations, such as the hearing loop and hearing aid manufacturers,
audiologists, and businesses, such as Tesco, the National Trust, HSBC, Asda and
Nationwide.
Rotary is another important partnership. In Bembridge on the
Isle of Wight, I manned a stand during the three-day district conference for
Sussex Rotary clubs. I gave a 15 minute speech to 400 delegates on Sunday
morning and over the weekend spoke to a number of people to see if their clubs
would be prepared to get involved.
The response has been very positive and it will be
interesting to see how many of the initial contacts turn into positive leads.
It looks like I’ve got a full speaking diary over the next six months.
As a member of the Click4Action e-Rotary club – more of
which another time – I’m acutely aware of how important Rotary can be with the
success of the project. We had a similar presence this weekend in Bristol for a
Rotary convention of Surrey clubs.
Rotary might seem an out-dated and old-fashioned
institution, but I believe it retains its importance, made up of the movers and
shakers in our communities.
However, in my speech, I warned Rotarians that they had to
carefully look to the future, in order to continue Rotary’s relevance in
society today. Rotary memberships are dwindling as people have less time, so it
is vital the organisation nationally looks at new and inventive ways of boosting
membership.
The “Let’s Loop” campaign is promoting the use of Rotary
Community Corps – a sort of Rotary Lite, where volunteers can get involved with
Rotary in an informal way, without the commitment. These volunteers could one
day be motivated to join Rotary full-time. We have chartered one such group in
Swindon.
Rotary sits at the heart of its communities, and in
Bembridge I asked the Rotary audience to look at “Let’s Loop the UK” as a vehicle to encourage
greater participation by tackling hearing loss, an issue which affects so many
people.
IT’S been an interesting few days on the Isle of Wight. I
was pleased to meet former MP Michael Portillo, who was at the Rotary
conference to give a speech on behalf of the charity Debra – an organisation
which works with children suffering with Epidermolysis Bullosa.
I wasn’t able to hear his speech, but I’m told it was very
funny, and disarming, with a few pointed anecdotes about his days working with
Margaret Thatcher as a member of the Cabinet.
We chatted briefly towards the end of his visit about his
work with Debra and Hearing Link. He’s a very charming man, and the lady from
Debra was saying how the reaction of some female Rotarians to him was quite
amazing.
One lady, clearly flirting with the former Conservative
Minister, was, to put it bluntly, quite tactile.
Another told a clearly taken aback Portillo that they were
having bets at what this debonair follower of fashion was wearing. It was a
slightly creased blue jacket, but as a definite non-follower of fashion, I
can’t embroider this description with any more detail.
Still, he took time to speak to everyone and was a
consummate gentleman. Nice guy!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.