Friday, January 02, 2015

New Year, new start - not really



THERE'S nothing cheesy about New Year's resolutions. In my opinion, it's a line in the sand moment to stock take your life, to clear out the clutter and replenish with new opportunities. 

What I like about New Year is that there are no religious connotations, such as Lent or Ramadan. It's simply a date in the calendar providing an opportunity to make a fresh start.

The big issue I have with New Year's resolutions is sustainability. Why start something which you know you can't keep up for the rest of the year? Why set yourself up for failing?

Also, you need to have is a plan. Don't just jump straight into the lifestyle change. Think how are you going to work it, how can you fit in what you are attempting, what's going to happen when you're too busy, stressed, not feeling well? And how about rewards - what incentives can you give yourself to meet the challenge?

For me, I'm the heaviest I've ever been - 11 stone 13lbs. Okay, not horrendous in the grand scheme of things, but the reality is that the day-to-day snacking on biscuits, sweets and sugar, combined with an erratic fitness regime has produced this Telly Tubby shape. Sugar sits on the stomach and it's hard to lose it.

The bottom line is I don't like it. It's not Mr Vain speaking, I can feel it when I'm dragging my lardy arse around the New Forest.

I have already been warned by some doubters to get used to it. I'm having none of that. I know I can lose it, I know I can return to the fitness levels with a few tweaks.

Since the summer I've cut out sugar from tea. It's not been easy because one of life's luxuries is surely a sweet cup of tea and a plate of Rich Tea biscuits! But I'm managing without, and that has been a big hurdle.

Ten years ago I was the weekend duty editor at the Southern Daily Echo. Because the canteen was not open, I came in every Saturday and on the way through I'd drop into the supermarket to buy two almond croissants, a Battenburg cake, a carton of fruit juice and a sandwich - and that was my diet for the day. Talk about sugar-loading. But the fat stayed off and I persisted with the terrible diet.

No longer is that the case.

So, my New Year's resolution is to lose the best part of a stone and be back to a fighting weight of close to 11 stone. I am going to become more organised with my running, not allowing work to interfere with exercise by committing to at least four runs a week - including one long weekend run.

And then there is the sugar. Out goes the chocolate, the cakes and the biscuits. But this is not going to be cold Turkey. It's ridiculous to start something which you can't continue since I could never give up chocolate, for example. So the flip side is Reward Sunday when I can treat myself to a sugary treat.

The incentive is that every month I will buy myself a new pair of running shoes or running kit. It's an achievable target, and it is all about being sensible, being committed and being good!

Here's to a healthier and less sugary 2015.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.