Monday, February 21, 2011

You know you're getting old when....

Oh Granny, really, you need to do something about that under-arm deodorant!

YOU know you're getting old when you begin to wallow in the nostalgia of old movies.
Watching the first of the "Back To The Future" movies on TV the other week was a jolting reminder how Michael J Fox was strutting his stuff as Marty McFly back in 1985 driving his plutonium-powered DeLorean "time machine" to the dark ages of 1955.
So working on the premise of 30-year time travel, shouldn't "Back To The Future 4" be set in 2015, taking the mick out of New Age music and its gawdy fashion, the Rubik's Cube, VHS video recorders, brick-sized mobile phones, and expensive computers with the memory of a gnat? It's frightening, isn't it?
You can't exactly describe "Back To The Future" as nostalgia, but one film I caught at the weekend was the 1944 drama "This Happy Breed".
It is such an underwhelming title for a film, based on the 1939 Noël Coward play. Nonetheless, it an absorbing piece of drama which trots through early 20th century British history from victory parades at the tailend of the First World War, through the depression and General Strike of 1926, to the eve of the Second World War.
The screenplay rarely ventures outside the Clapham home of the unfunky Gibbons family tracing the ordinary lives of these ordinary suburban people.
It's about their uncluttered lives, their domestic squabbles, the joy of a wedding and the despair of the death of a son, stitched together by a script straight out of the Chumley Warner School of Acting.
But the trials and tribulations of this lower middle class family between the war years makes for strangely fascinating viewing. Despite the uncertainty of the world around them, I envied them for their values and the sense of family.
John Mills, Robert Newton, Celia Johnson and Stanley Holloway made up the cast of this heralded classic which celebrates the stoicism, humour and resilience of ordinary British people, who want not for what they haven't got, but instead they nurture what they have.

1 comment:

  1. I quite like the golden oldies.
    The Lady Killers was one of my favs and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

    I also like to watch the old quatermass films and I thought that Logans Run was amazining in its time.

    I suppose we have come a long way in the world of graphics and digital media - gone are the days where you used to be able to see the string on the Thunderbirds puppets.

    I did laugh recently at a clip that a friend of mine emailed me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI
    You will have to watch it - If someone showed me the same clip 15 to 20 years ago, I wouldn't have had a clue what they were on about. Funny how times change :- )

    L

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.